Friday, April 22, 2011

Turning Points 2000: Chapter 2 & pgs 102-105

Chapter 2 of Turning Points 2000 highlighted the authors’ recommendations for creating a functional and successful middle school. The sections I found the most important were actually the ones regarding the staffing of such schools. “Staff middle grades schools with teachers who are expert at teaching young adolescents and engage teachers in ongoing professional development” is one of the best things that I believe can be done for the heath of a middle school environment. Not only does it push educators to a standard of excellence, but it also engages them in new developments over the span of their teaching career. Too often I feel that middle school educators are held the least responsible for the wellbeing of their students. Perhaps that is because the age group is viewed publicly as “tough” or “troublesome”. Perhaps this is rooted in my own personal feelings of resentment toward my personal experience in grades 7 and 8 and the lack of professionalism I felt from my teachers (which actually makes perfect sense after reading section 102-105). Either way, I do feel that keeping teachers sharp and holding them to developing standards is one of the best things that any responsible educator can do to be actively involved with their students’ development and learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment