Friday, April 22, 2011

Boys and Girls Learn Differently

More than anything, I found the whole basis for this book to be incredibly interesting. There is not enough research on gender in the classroom and more of it could enable teachers to reach all students in a maximize learning environment. What struck me as odd was the fact that there are schools separating their math classes by gender, but no other subjects follow this model. I wonder what it is about math that makes the results distinct enough to make this executive decision where as other subjects prove too ambiguous. I also wonder if separating boys and girls in the math class would even matter if a heterogenous classroom employed skills that seem to improve scores for both (such as kinesthetic motion coupled with increased time on learning multiplication facts). I hope to look into this more when I have free time and I'm glad that this group was able to call my attention to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment