Saturday, March 26, 2011

Meet Me in the Middle: Chapter 6

Too often "accountability" for students becomes synonymous with punishment for failing to reach high standards. In this chapter, the author made an excellent point of differentiating between the two. The best way to hold students to these expectations is to allow them to redo their work until they have reached their potential. He also mentions that giving extra credit is not the most effective way to earn more points toward a grade. The most meaningful way for a student to immerse in the material is to repeat the work they scored poorly on in order to gain better understanding. Wormeli also discusses the importance of teachers holding themselves to equally high standards and dedicate themselves to being an educator. On the whole, I enjoyed this chapter and it made me think about my role as an educator and what I want to accomplish in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment